B&E’s litigation practice cuts across the substantive knowledge of its core practice areas of employment and employee benefits law, and includes several other areas of practice. All lawyers at B&E are seasoned litigators, well-known for their vigorous representation of individuals and entities in civil and criminal litigation, investigations, trials, and appeals. Our attorneys have broad experience in all facets of civil and criminal litigation, representing clients before courts, agencies and arbitration panels across the country in areas such as contract disputes, serious personal injury, wrongful death, business torts, employee benefits law, labor and employment matters, and federal and state regulatory disputes.
Recent matters include:
- Defense of plan sponsor and fiduciaries in ERISA fiduciary breach litigation stemming from plan termination;
- Representation of 401(k) plan fiduciary in Department of Labor investigation involving potential civil and criminal penalties;
- Defense of company and its board of directors in action in federal bankruptcy court alleging breaches of fiduciary duty under state law and violations of the bankruptcy code;
- Representation of former executive of national non-profit organization in severance negotiations;
- Defense of employer in employment discrimination action;
- Representation and defense of individuals and entities in criminal investigations and proceedings;
- Defense of several companies in catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases in Virginia and the District of Columbia;
- Defense of several companies in construction defects cases in Virginia;
- Representation of several companies in state and federal lawsuits involving the protection of, or to recover, proprietary business information and unfair competition;
- Representation of individual sued by his former employer seeking to enforce an overbroad noncompete agreement;
- Representation of investment companies in proprietary information disputes.